The Senior Systems Engineer is principally responsible for installing Microsoft and related platform technologies for QTS’ clients, and training and supporting clients and their environments. This position has particular focus on Exchange (Online, Hybrid and On-Premise) as well as server platform/virtualization/cloud solutions (Azure/Hyper-V/VMware). The Senior Systems Engineer configures the equipment and software to meet client business needs, trains the customer on the solution, and documents the solution for ongoing support. The Senior Systems Engineer can function as part of an implementation team on larger projects, or individually provides the services on support visits or smaller projects. The Senior Systems Engineer may also provide technical support to the sales staff and assist with the design of Microsoft-based solutions.
Beyond these core accountabilities, however, the Senior Systems Engineer plays a significant leadership role. This includes independently managing the integration of advanced technologies into client environments, leading project implementation teams and managing project activities, and assisting with the training and development of QTS technical staff. The Senior Systems Engineer also participates in development of quality assurance steps, technical standards and operational procedures for QTS.
- Deliver high-quality integration services to QTS’ clients, including configuration of servers, workstations and internetworking equipment, as well as applications software, messaging systems and client/server databases on servers and workstations. Ensure technical excellence in service delivery to maximize billable time and customer satisfaction and to minimize non-billable time.
- Submit time sheets promptly, thoroughly and accurately, with appropriate breakdown of billable time by activity, to ensure company profitability and meet billed utilization goals for the position.
- Provide support to QTS’ customers, independently troubleshooting technical problems by analyzing the problem and applying a scientific methodology to resolve the problem promptly and cost-effectively. This includes resolution of complex problems escalated by the Customer Support Center.
- Provide training to the client on QTS-installed technology solutions and solution components, to maximize the value the client receives from our service and the technologies they purchase from QTS.
- Prepare work product documentation, checklists, training materials and standards documents to ensure a high-quality of service delivery and maximize QTS’ efficiency and effectiveness. Thoroughly document problems and steps to resolve them, to maximize institutionalization of knowledge. Develop technical standards documents and implementation procedures for new technologies.
- Thoroughly test all work, and involve the client in acceptance testing to ensure their needs are met. Through thorough testing, ensure that client systems are fully functional and meet the client’s business needs.
- Effectively communicate with QTS’ clients and QTS staff. Build a good working relationship with the client, ensure an understanding of the client’s needs and objectives, and involve the client in cost/risk decisions. Follow QTS internal communications guidelines and workflows.
- Follow QTS procedures to deliver services in an organized, effective manner to ensure customers perceive QTS to be thorough, well-prepared and punctual. Take ownership of issues and show professionalism and control.
- Assist Sales team with product research and service work estimates for new proposals, when needed. Also, participate with sales team in pre-sales activity at customer; clearly explain benefits of complex technical solutions to non-technical customers.
- Cross-train junior staff on technologies. Clearly, thoroughly and in an organized manner explain the technology, and confirm the engineer understands and is following periodically throughout the training.
- Participate in the development of quality assurance steps, technical standards and operational procedures for the department.
- Develop and maintain a broad background in QTS’ core technology offerings, to ensure high quality coverage and skill depth for QTS’ clients. Adapt to and quickly learn new technologies and products.
- Achieve and maintain technology industry certifications as part of your developmental plan as agreed upon with your Manager.
- Implement projects as assigned by QTS Management.
- A minimum of 10 years technical experience required.
- Must possess superior skills in current and older versions of Windows Server, Exchange and Active Directory, as well as Exchange Hybrid experience with Office 365. Server virtualization (VMware/Hyper-V), Lync/Skype, System Center and other Microsoft or Citrix platform experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and troubleshoot problems with speed and efficiency.
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Systems Engineer (MCSE) or equivalent experience and current certification highly desirable (need to have passed, or pass, Microsoft tests 70-346/7).
- Current Cisco, Citrix and/or VMware certifications highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, are required.
- Experience working as a field engineer for an IT services firm is highly desirable.
- Bachelors Degree is strongly preferred, in a technical or liberal arts discipline.
Special Position Requirements:
- Off-hours project and support work required.
- Revolving Monthly Off Hours Coverage.
- This role consists of 60%-70% field/project work, so area travel is required, in North/Central NJ and New York City.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance and ownership or unlimited access to a reliable motor vehicle.
- Ability to lift, carry or move light hardware for delivery and installation purposes.
Code of Ethics:
- Respectful – Develop behaviors that will add to and sustain a harmonious work environment. Show respect and support your coworkers, be a part of the team and work cooperatively to allow employees to thrive in the workplace.
- Strive for Excellence – “Driven by Excellence Powered by You” Be driven to perform at the highest level, take pride in your work product. Work with the goal in mind and exceed expectations
- Leadership – Demonstrate model behaviors and be an example to your co-workers. Follow Company Policies and Procedures.
- Continued Learning – Take advantage of developmental path and learning opportunities to further your career and secure your position within the company.
- Be Entrepreneurial – Work independently and take initiative, create opportunities and ensure successful outcomes.